Fellowships & Assistantships  | Comparative Literature | Tuition & Fees 

Travel Grants | Dissertation Fellowships | Residency

Fellowships and Assistantships

Applicants to the English Department are automatically considered for University Fellowships and Assistantships if the appropriate box is checked on the application form.  In addition, the Department awards Teaching Fellowships (usually not available in the summer). Students entering the Ph.D. program are eligible for teaching fellowships in their second year of enrollment. New graduate students with prior experience teaching undergraduates may be considered for a teaching assignment in their first year. Teaching Fellows have full instructional responsibility for sections of beginning composition courses. Currently the stipend of a Teaching Fellow is $7600 per semester for one course or section of either Rhetoric and Composition or Literature.  It may be possible for some graduate students to teach a second section or course in certain semesters, for an additional one-semester stipend of $4500.  At present, teaching fellowships also include tuition remission and health insurance coverage.

See also information for teaching fellows on the Writing Program page.

Financial assistance in the form of work-study is also available from the University to a limited number of full-time graduate students. Further information about financial aid offerings based on need may be obtained from the Student Aid Office, 301 Vance Hall, CB# 2300, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-2300 (919-962-8396). 

For additional funding opportunities, please visit the Graduate School’s webpage and UNC's Grant Source Library. See also the Andrew W. Mellon Fellowship in Humanistic Studies.


More Information for Incoming Comparative Literature Students

In addition to teaching fellowships and assistantships, the Curriculum is able to offer one merit-based research assistantship to an incoming student.

Other funding opportunities that may be well suited to comparative literature students are the Foreign Languages Area Studies (FLAS) fellowships. FLAS offers a unique opportunity for funding top graduate students who require training in foreign languages. Through the five Area Studies National Resource Centers on campus (Latin American, Slavic/East European, European, South Asian, and International) grants are offered to graduate students during the academic year or for the summer. The fellowship covers full tuition (10,000/year or 3,600/summer) plus a stipend ($11,000/year or 2,400/summer) as well as health insurance for academic year awardees. Applications for FLAS awards are due Feb 1st and announcements will be made soon there after. Application forms, language evaluation forms, and additional information on the application process and the various FLAS programs can be gained from the websites of the relevant Area Studies Center.


Tuition and Fees

Students registered for nine or more credit hours in the Graduate School are considered full-time students. Students who teach usually register for part-time course work. For more information about tuition and fees, you can visit the Cashier's Office website.


Travel Support

The Department sometimes has money to support travel to conferences when students are presenting papers. Students will receive from the Graduate Studies Office announcements of deadlines and requirements for application when such awards are available. Go here for more information. The Graduate School also sometimes provides one-time travel support.  Students should check with the Fellowship Office at the Graduate School for more information. 


Dissertation Fellowships

The department offers a limited number of competitive dissertation fellowships with the aim of releasing students from teaching to concentrate on their writing during a semester or a summer.  Applications will be invited in the Fall and Spring for the following term.  The principal criterion considered is the quality of the project description, with some consideration given to the excellence of the applicant’s overall academic record and timely progress toward the degree. Other forms of financial aid, including work study and student loans, are handled by the Student Aid Office in Vance Hall (962-8396)


Residency for Tuition

Every applicant for admission is required to state his or her length of residence in North Carolina. The tuition charge for legal residents of North Carolina is less than that for nonresidents. To qualify for in-state tuition, a legal resident must have maintained his or her domicile in North Carolina for at least twelve months immediately prior to classification as a resident for tuition purposes. In order to be eligible for such classification, students must establish that their presence in the State during the twelve-month period was for purposes of maintaining a bona fide domicile rather than mere temporary residence incident to enrollment in a university. Prospective students who believe that they are entitled to be classified residents for tuition purposes should be aware that the processing of requests and appeals can take a long time and that applications for classification should not be delayed until registration. For more information contact their website.